Beets are in season and beet chips are my new favorite go-to snack. The best part is having to distract my 2-year-old and ask him to be patient while they bake. He loves them and can’t wait once I mention them. Kid won’t eat strawberries or blueberries, but he is all over beet chips. ha!
One thing I am learning as a parent is that kids taste buds change pretty often, or maybe that’s just my kid. Either way, when you find something your child likes, play to those favorites. My boy loves chips, any kind. But I don’t want him eating the stuff out of a bag all the time, plus I have a garden full of beets, so…
5-6 medium to large beets will make your efforts worth while
Coconut oil, lard, or fat of your choice, melted
Salt to taste
- Wash beets. Cut off tops and bottoms. Peel.
- Slice suuuuuper thin. A mandoline will help with this part. Or a very sharp knife.
- Coat beets in oil or fat of choice.
- Place on baking sheets in a single layer.
- Bake at 400° until crispy, about 10-15 minutes. Check them as you go, you may need to flip half way through.
Let cool and chow down. Smile when your kid devours a super nutritious snack.
Beets freshly plucked from the garden.