If you’re feeling like something a little different for breakfast that is quick, easy and pretty cheap, let me introduce you to the “Cheap & Easy Crustless Quiche” Paleo-style (i.e. sans crust).
- 8 eggs (preferably pastured, but organic will do, or conventional if that is all you have available and can afford)
- 1 TBS water
- ½ small red pepper, finely chopped
- ½ small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 TBS butter (grass-fed preferable, organic next, conventional last)
- 1 TBS coconut oil
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Melt butter and coconut oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onions, and broccoli. Sprinkle with basil, salt, and pepper. Stirring occasionally, cook until soft and slightly caramelized.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and water in a big bowl. Pour into a oven-safe pie dish.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into the pie dish on top of the eggs, making sure to spread evenly.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 and cook until edges are light brown, or about 20-30 minutes.
Wait until cooled and store in the fridge. You can heat up pieces throughout the week for breakfast or take to work for a snack. Feel free to switch up the veggies for different flavors and personal preferences. If you tolerate cheese well, throw some of that on top and gently stir it in before you put it in the oven. Yum!
8 eggs = $2.52 (we bought organic xLarge eggs from Trader Joe’s this week for $3.79 this week)
1/2 red pepper = $.34
1/2 onion = $.20
1 c broccoli = $1.00 (this may be off, I know we bought a pound of broccoli this week for $2.61)
Assuming you have the spices, butter and coconut oil on hand, the price comes in at approximately $4.06.
That is breakfast for the WEEK for under $5! WHA?
Eat. And Enjoy!